Health Professions: Emergency Medical SERVICES
Mandatory background check for advanced life support courses
|Criminal Background Check
- The certified background check is mandatory for any student wanting
to enter any of the
under the EMS curriculum. The background
check needs to be completed prior to a student
beginning his or her clinical rotations; therfore, the student
can begin classes without having the background check completed
- "Student has had National Background check completed to include criminal & sexual offenses and those against minors." Also that the student is in compliance with the State of Virginia standards.
- Students entering the EMT do NOT have
to have a background check.
- Health professions students assigned to clinical
rotations or internships at some healthcare facilities are
personally responsible for completing the required background checks or screenings and
assuring that results are obtained by the healthcare or medical
facility that asks for them.
- Students are required to bear the
costs of such tests.
- It will be the decision of the clinical
affiliate (healthcare or medical facility) whether the student
will be allowed to participate in the clinical activities should
there be positive criminal or sex offender results.
Community College does not assume any responsibility for obtaining
or evaluating the results of a criminal background check, drug
screen or other check, maintaining the records of results or
for delivering them to clinical sites.
- Students may not request
to be assigned only to those sites that do not require such checks.
- Students who refuse to undergo a criminal background check or
drug screen or other required check may not be able to be placed at another facility and consequently may not be able to complete
program requirements and graduate. Tidewater Community College
will make reasonable efforts to place all enrolled students in
- Students are also reminded that licensing boards for certain
health care occupations and professions may deny, suspend or
revoke a license or may deny the individual the opportunity to
sit for an examination if an applicant has a criminal history
or is convicted or pleads guilty or nolo contendere to a felony
or other serious crime.
- Successful completion of a health professions
program of study at Tidewater Community College does not guarantee
licensure, the opportunity to sit for a licensure examination,
certification or employment in the relevant heath care occupation.
The vendor for criminal background checks is Certified Background.
1. Please complete the vendor information and make direct payment to the vendor.
The vendor will provide you with a passcode and a PDF file of the results.
2. It is your responsibility to provide your CBI results to
the agency requesting it within 24 hours after the first day
of classes (which is also the day of final notification of clinical
placement sites). To initiate completion of your CBI please contact
the selected vendor, provide the required data, sign the release
and provide payment to the vendor.
3. Please be sure to keep a hard copy of your own PDF file for
your personal records.
1. Go to www.certifiedbackground.com.
2. Click on "Students"
3. In the Package Code Box, enter id29
4. You will see a page with information about our package and its contents,
Download CertifiedBackground instruction
|EMS home page