While this program remains accredited, please note that the Medical Assistant Program and its Open House are temporarily in an inactive status. Should you have any further questions about the program, please do not hesitate to call 757-822-7674.
Health Professions: Medical Assistant Program
Begin a new career as a Medical Assistant performing administrative and clinical tasks to keep the offices of physicians, podiatrists, chiropractors, and other health practitioners running smoothly.
TCC's Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the CAAHEP.
Open House Information Sessions
- 3rd Thursday of each month
- What time?
- Regional Health Professions Center, Bldg M, Room MN-219, Virginia Beach Campus. The RHPC is located on the corner of Faculty Drive and Rosemont Road.
What do Medical Assistants do? (Depending on state law and employer)
- update and file patients’ medical records
- fill out insurance forms
- arrange for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- answer telephones
- greet patients
- handle correspondence
- schedule appointments
- handle billing and bookkeeping
Clinical medical duties
- taking medical histories
- recording vital signs
- explaining treatment procedures to patients
- preparing patients for examinations
- assisting physicians during examinations
- collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- perform basic laboratory tests on the premises
- dispose of contaminated supplies
- sterilize medical instruments
- instruct patients about medications and special diets
- prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician
- authorize drug refills as directed
- telephone prescriptions to a pharmacy
- draw blood
- prepare patients for x-rays
- take electrocardiograms
- remove sutures
- change dressings.
- arrange examining room instruments and equipment
- purchase and maintain supplies and equipment
- keep waiting and examining rooms neat and clean.
(from the US Dept. of Labor web site)
The Tidewater Community College Medical Assistant Program is accredited
by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
||Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756