Beazley School of Nursing,
Admission into the nursing program is highly competitive and challenging.
Students who have not submitted all required supporting documents or completed admission steps will not be considered.
More detailed information on the admissions process for the Registered Nursing Program can be obtained from the Nursing Program Admissions Procedures and Information Booklet (pdf).
Applicants seeking admission to the Associate Degree Nursing Program must satisfactorily complete the following requirements:
- Apply for general Admission to Tidewater Community College
- Attend the mandatory Nursing Information Session
- Complete the Tidewater Community College Placement Tests for English, Reading and Mathematics, if applicable.
- Complete all required developmental courses indicated as a result of placement testing. Please see a Counselor or Academic Advisor to review your test results.
- Complete high school chemistry, CHM 1, college-level chemistry, or BIO 150 (microbiology) with a grade of "C" or better within the past six years of beginning the first nursing course.
- Take the Nursing Admission Assessment Exam (HESI A2) within two years prior to application to the nursing program.
- Have the required minimum college or university cumulative grade point average of 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete a Nursing Application Self-Assessment Form and apply to the program.
- The Nursing Application Self-Assessment Form and the Beazley School of Nursing Application may be found in the Nursing Program Admissions Procedures and Information Booklet, at either of the counseling offices on either of the TCC campuses, or by mail by calling the TCC Information Center at 757-822-1122.
- Prior to the end of the deadline date, students who meet admission requirements may submit a complete nursing application packet to the Beazley School of Nursing. A complete application packet would include: 1) the separate Application for Admission to the Beazley School of Nursing, 2) the Beazley School of Nursing Self-Assessment Form, 3) one official high school or GED transcript, and 4) one official college/university transcript (from every college/university every attended) except for Tidewater Community College. The School of Nursing will access the TCC transcript. All required
documents must be submitted at the same time (in one envelope) as part of the nursing application packet.
* The Nursing Admission Assessment Exam is not required for those students following either of the LPN to RN tracks.
Applicants selected for admission are provisionally accepted pending satisfactory
results from completion of the following:
Physical examination and laboratory testing
Criminal History and Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Background Checks
CPR for the Health Care Provider (HLT 105 American Heart Association) or CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Obtain Nursing Liability Insurance
- Attend the mandatory New Nursing Student Orientation Session.
- TRANSFER STUDENTS - Students transferring from other nursing programs must meet the admission requirements of the Tidewater Community College Nursing Program. Students who have failed two nursing courses at other programs will not be admitted. Specific instructions for transfer students can be found in the Nursing Program Admissions Procedures and Information Booklet.