The Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
In Partnership with Tidewater Community College
|Eligibility for Admission
- Current TCC student or recent TCC graduate (must have
at least 15 transferable credits from TCC)
- 4 years past high school graduation or GED
- 60 semester credits of transferable college course work
with a grade of C (2.0) or better from one or more regionally
accredited colleges or universities
- 30 of the 60 credits must satisfy the Liberal Studies
Core (see below)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and good social/academic
standing at most recent college or university
- Good financial standing at UVA
|Liberal Studies Core Requirements (30 semester credits)
- 6 transferable credits of English Composition
- 6 transferable credits of Humanities (art, art history,
architectural history, classics, drama, literature, music,
philosophy, political theory, religion, and western or other
- 6 transferable credits of Social Science (anthropology,
economics, government and foreign affairs or political science,
history (non-civilization courses), psychology, and sociology)
- 12 transferable credits of Math/and or Natural Science
|Additional Required Transferable Credits (30 semester
- Courses must be comparable to UVA courses in content and
- A maximum of 2 credits of PE may be transferred.
- A maximum of 12 credits of transferable course work in
Military Science (ROTC) may be transferred.
- Most foreign language courses will transfer, but will
not count toward the Humanities requirement.
- Up to two programming courses & one software applications
course (IST 114 or 117) may be transferred.
- A maximum of 12 credits from the Defense Language Institute
may be transferred.
- UVA does not accept credits earned through non-traditional
means (e.g., CLEP, military credits, correspondence courses).
- See UVA Transfer Guide: http://www.web.virginia.edu/analyzer/ for a complete list of transferable courses.
- Attend a BIS Information Session at TCC. If you are unable to attend a session, please meet with Maura Spreen at firstname.lastname@example.org or Penny Lewis at email@example.com at TCC for an overview of the program.
- Send transcripts to SCPSadmissions or fax to (434) 982-5324 for preliminary review. These can be unofficial transcripts, although eventually you will need to send official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Based on feedback, complete an online application. Go to www.scps.virginia.edu/bisdegree and click on "Apply Now". The application deadlines are May 15 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission.