cmve@TCC: Prior CreditS > SOC: Servicemembers
Tidewater Community College is a longstanding member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium and the SOC Degree Network System.
The SOC Consortium consists of over 1900 SOC member colleges and universities who have agreed to support SOC Principles and Criteria and provide educational programs that are flexible in terms of scheduling, academic residency, course transfer, and acceptance of non-traditional credit.
SOC Degree Network System
TCC is member of the SOC Degree Network System, a subset of SOC Consortium members who also:
- were invited by the military to offer specific degrees
- offer many courses pre-approved for transfer
- are generally located close to or on military installations
- grant SOC Student Agreements
SOC Student Agreements
By completing just 25% of your degree program with TCC (roughly 5 courses in a 60 credit hour associate degree program), a SOC Student Agreement guarantees that you can finish your degree program with TCC, regardless of your location. If you must move before finishing your degree program, you can take your remaining course requirements at other schools and transfer the credits back to us for degree completion.
TCC offers SOC Student Agreements to the following military-related students enrolled in any associate level TCC degree program:
- active-duty military students
- drilling reservists
- certain DOD Contractors
- Eliminates the need to transfer schools and potentially lose credit
- Easily identify courses that will transfer back to your degree
- Maximize transfer credit for military experience and other non-traditional sources of credit – CLEP, DANTES, etc.
Pre-approved SOC courses
Through the SOC Degree Network System, TCC has pre-approved many courses from other colleges for transfer into our degree programs. Visit the SOC website for a list of TCC courses with pre-approved transfer agreements.
- Apply to Tidewater Community College and enroll in classes.
- Complete the online application for a SOC Student Agreement.
- Request your official military transcripts. (Air Force can request theirs HERE)
- Have military transcripts and transcripts from any other college level courses or tests (CLEP, DANTES, etc.) you have completed sent to the following address:
Tidewater Community College
Office of the College Registrar
Post Office Box 9000
Norfolk, VA 23509-9000
For more information about SOC and how it can work for you, contact:
Director, Military Academic Programs
Center for Military and Veterans Education