CMVE @ TCC: paying for college > tuition, fees &
Tidewater Community College makes determinations of domicile in accordance with provisions in the Code of Virginia 23-7.4.
Please visit the domicile main page for more information.
The initial domicile determination is based on the application for instate rates that is part of the application to the college.
Several factors are used to determine if a person demonstrates intent to remain in Virginia indefinitely. A college or university may ask for information from you or your parents about the following factors:
- Continuous residence in Virginia
- Social and economic ties
- Ownership of real property
- Sources of financial support
- Current employment in Virginia
- Employment in Virginia post- graduation
- Military records
- State to which income taxes are paid
- Voter registration and actual voting
- Driver's license
- Motor vehicle registration
The tuition rates/domicile MUST BE finalized PRIOR to the first day of class:
To update your tuition status to an in-state tuition rate under the Active Duty Military Exception, you will need to provide the following documents to one of the college's Admissions offices or to one of the TCC military locations:
- A copy of the military members active duty orders
- A piece of current mail to show that the military member resides in Virginia
- Present the military members active duty military ID card to verify that are active duty.
The Active Duty Military Exception is valid for one calendar year. If you plan to continue after that time, you will need to submit the documents again.
If using GI Bill benefits, you’ll need to provide:
- a copy of your orders and proof of military ID card
- Veteran students need to provide proof of residency
- Minimally, providing a DD214, member copy #4 with an honorable discharge and a piece of mail reflecting a Virginia address, will grant the tuition exception, but it is reviewed yearly - requiring action on your part to continue to receive the instate rate. Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits does not pay out of state tuition rates.
Dependents and Spouses:
Dependents and spouses must show proof of residency or provide a copy of the military orders, a military ID card, and a piece of mail reflecting a Virginia Address.
The above guidance is not all inclusive and specific questions and all documents should be directed to the domicile office on the campus of your choice.