The TCC Center for eLearning promotes the best practices and most effective models to shape, inform, and advance effective online teaching and successful student learning and provides centralized support to achieve appropriate consistency, currency, and excellence in technology-delivered distance learning.
Note: TCC faculty members attempting to access secured parts of the following information from home or an off-campus location may be prompted to login to InsideTCC. If you experience an error message when trying to view the information after logging in, please try logging into InsideTCC directly (available at https://insidetcc.tcc.edu/) and then selecting one of the “eLearning” links located under “Faculty and Staff” or “Departments”. Need help? View our troubleshooting guide.
- Blackboard Blackboard offers a more personalized approach to online More Infolearning—face-to-face collaboration, integrated social learning tools, and instant access to course materials and lectures—no matter where your students happen to be.
- Online Course Development Program More InfoThe OCD Program includes coursework in eLearning pedagogy and course design, as well as a phased approach to course development that includes guidance of an online Faculty Mentor and assistance from Center for eLearning support staff, as well as informal and formal peer reviews designed to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Quality Matters More InfoTidewater Community College is committed to using the Quality Matters (QM) standards as the foundation for the design of all TCC online courses. All faculty who teach online courses at TCC have completed QM coursework and are experts at applying the Quality Matters Rubric™ to effective online course design. Many TCC faculty are certified Peer Reviewers of online courses, and a select group of faculty are certified Master Reviewers.
- Teaching Online Program (TOP)All faculty who teach online at TCC begin their preparation for teaching in the electronic environment with the Teaching Online Program (TOP) course. The TOP course was developed by a VCCS-sponsored group of distance educators and instructional technologists and addresses the pedagogy, technology, and administration of eLearning to ensure that TCC’s online courses are models of effective online teaching and successful student learning. More Info
- Template All online courses at Tidewater Community College are delivered within an approved Blackboard template that was built around the course design principles of Quality Matters by a group of TCC faculty and revised in response to suggestions by faculty and the Faculty Senate. The template addresses standards from the QM Rubric™ to ensure that course navigation is logical, consistent, and efficient, and it provides students a consistent experience in online learning. The template does not dictate content; rather, it is designed to help faculty organize and deploy discipline content through a unit or weekly organization and to pre-populate for faculty many resources related to student services, communications, and student engagement that not only address QM standards but assist student achievement in the course.More Info
- Faculty Websites Tidewater Community College recognizes that an online presence is important for faculty members. Therefore, the Center for eLearning offers faculty members the option of creating and maintaining a faculty-related website.More Info
- Remote Proctoring Tidewater Community College has partnered with Software Secure/Remote Proctor Now to offer remote proctoring of online course assessments.More Info