what is a database?
what is found in a
who produces databases?
how is a database
when is a database
Beverly D. Hills, MSLS
When do you use a database?
- In a library, use a full-text database when you are looking for magazine,
journal, or newspaper articles. Full-text means the entire article
is available for you to print.
- Use a database when you want data that is very current. Many producers
of commercial databases update their data at regular intervals. Would
you want a book that is 3 years old or a medical database that is updated
- Use a database when you need statistics. Numerical data is ideal
for a database format since retrieval of organized data is much easier
than wading through volumes of unorganized data.
- Although you'd probably want a book if you were researching the history
of Russia you might use a database to look for online documents or
encyclopedia articles to support your research.
- Generally, use a database when you need to find specific information.