Admission Steps - Military Students

Tidewater Community College is among the nation’s leading providers of education and training for active duty service members, reserves, National Guard, Coast Guard, veterans, military spouses and dependents. TCC's Center for Military and Veterans Education (CMVE) is here to assist and support you through the admission process. 

Military service members

 Follow the instructions on this page to apply to TCC.

Please note: Tuition Assistance (TA) only covers the cost of tuition, regardless of which military branch you serve in. Students are responsible for paying for all associated fees (Institutional Fee, Student Activity Fee, and Auxiliary Capital Fee).

Follow these steps to apply to TCC

Spouses & dependents
Follow these steps to apply to TCC

Apply for Admission

Apply to TCC using our free online application. You can save your application and finish it later. You will be assigned a 7-digit Student ID number when you complete the application. Write this number down. We recommend printing the application for your records.

You will receive a letter from us notifying you of your acceptance and assigning you a student email account. (If for some reason, your application can't be accepted, we'll let you know.)

Next, go to myTCC to activate your account and access your student email. Throughout your academic career, TCC will communicate important information to you through your student email account. Check it often!

Apply for Tuition Assistance (TA)

Navy, Marines and Coast Guard

1. Visit the branch education portal to get started. Follow the Tuition Assistance Steps listed on the Navy College Program page

2. Complete the 2 required online training courses (once per naval career):

  • Higher Education Preparation Course (HEUP)
  • TA Policy and Procedures Training

TA must be approved by your command 14 days prior to the first day of class.

Contact Navy College Virtual Education Center (NCVEC) at 1-877-838-1659.

Air Force

Visit the branch education portal to get started.

Army (Active and Reserve)

Visit the branch education portal to get started. You must apply for TA at least 14 days prior to the first day of class.

National Guard

Visit the branch education portal to get started.

If you are eligible for State or Federal TA:

  • Federal TA can’t be used with Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR/Chapter 1606)
  • State and Federal TA can’t be used at the same time
  • State TA can be used with CH 1606

State TA application deadline dates

Spring Semester (Jan 1 – May 15)                 November 1
Summer Semester (May 16 – Aug 15)           April 1
Fall Semester (Aug 16 – Dec 31)                   July 1

Using State TA? You must go to a Campus Business Office to claim your TA. Depending on funding, only tuition may be covered.

Using your GI Bill® with TA

If you plan to use your GI Bill® with TA, please fill out the online Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form each semester. Contact the CMVE if you have any questions.

Apply for Financial Aid

If you haven't already done so, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). TCC’s school code is 003712.

Learn more about paying for TCC

Meet with an Academic Advisor

TCC’s academic advisors will help you select an academic program, register for classes and build a course schedule that fits your busy life.

They will also provide an unofficial evaluation of your previous educational experience and military training to help you determine which classes to enroll in. Bring unofficial copies of any transcripts and/or military training. 

All new, curricular students are required to meet with an academic advisor before registering for their first semester. You can meet with an advisor by phone or in-person. You can also meet with a CMVE Base Representative or email

Learn more about advising

Demonstrate College Readiness

TCC uses multiple measures to determine a student’s readiness for college-level English and math courses, including the Virginia Placement Test.

Most new students must take the English and math placement tests before registering for classes. These are not admission tests. They evaluate your college readiness.

You may be exempt from placement tests if you can demonstrate your readiness with previous high school course work, SAT/ACT scores, or your Active Duty/Veteran status.

Complete this form before meeting with an academic advisor to request a waiver from taking the VPTs.

You don’t want to be placed in a course lower than your actual skill level because you’ll take longer to complete your program and you’ll be paying unnecessary tuition.

Whether or not you have studied English and mathematics recently, you will want to prepare in order to do your best.

Learn more about placement tests

Obtain & Submit Degree Plan

Each branch requires you submit documentation from the college to process your Tuition Assistance. These are unique based on your branch of service; however, you will likely need to provide your Academic Advising Report and an official Curriculum Guide from TCC. Follow the instructions on our tutorials page to access these items.

You may also be asked to provide verification of the college’s tuition cost, which can be found on our Tuition and Fees page.

Once you’ve gathered these items you must upload them to your branch education portal.

Have Military & Education Credits Evaluated

You may receive academic credit for your military experience and previous college credit. An CMVE advisor can assist you with this process.

Request credit for military experience 

Request credit for previous academic credit

Attend an Orientation Session

After you take your placement test, sign up to attend an orientation session at the campus where you plan to take most of your classes.

Sign up for orientation

Review In-State Tuition Rate Requirements

You may need to submit specific documentation to qualify for in-state tuition rates if Virginia is not your legal domicile. Review the information required to qualify for in-state tuition rates.

Register for Classes

After you have spoken with an advisor and selected a program, select your classes using the online class schedule.

Classes may be listed for more than one semester. Be sure you are searching the correct semester.

The academic calendar contains registration dates and deadlines.

Pay Tuition & Fees

Tuition Assistance only covers the cost of Tuition. Fees are not covered by Tuition Assistance and are your responsibility.

View TCC's tuition and fees

Request Cost Verification

Complete and submit the Cost Verification Form to request your GoArmyED cost verification letter.

Submit Tuition Assistance Class Hold Request

The Tuition Assistance Class Hold Request form is used to request a hold be placed on your classes while you wait for your military tuition assistance (TA) voucher.

Before submitting the form, be sure you have paid all fees and have proof of your command’s TA approval (e.g. an email or screenshot)

Complete and submit the TA Hold Request form

Submit TA Voucher

Submit your TA voucher to a campus business office in person or via email. You must submit your voucher from your TCC student email and include your SIS ID#.

Chesapeake Business Office

Norfolk Business Office

Portsmouth Business Office

Virginia Beach Business Office

Apply for a Servicemembers Opportunity College Agreement

An SOC Agreement helps ensure that you can finish your program with TCC, regardless of your location. Request an SOC Agreement only after you have enrolled in classes and all college/military transcripts have been evaluated. 

CMVE Offices

Call us at 757-822-7645 or 855-399-7480 (toll-free if outside the U.S.)

Office hours:
Virginia Beach: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Chesapeake: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Norfolk: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Portsmouth: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

CMVE military base contact information

Virginia Beach (Main Office)

Building D (Kempsville)
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-7710


Pass Building
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23320

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-5014


Andrews Building
315 Granby St.
Norfolk, VA 23510

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-1650


Building A
120 Campus Drive
Portsmouth, VA 23701

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-2136

Looking for Help?

Send Us Your Questions
* All fields are mandatory