Ready, set, back-to-school
Ready, set, back to school at TCC! We’re sure you know that classes begin on Aug. 23, so we’re providing a Top 10 primer of what you might not know if you’re new to our college.
Please note all campuses are open on Saturday, Aug. 18, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
10. All out of change for the vending machine? Not to worry thanks to Storm Dollars, which allow you to swipe to pay at campus vending machines, Barnes & Noble at TCC and the following locations on the Norfolk Campus: Einstein Bros. Bagels, The Campus Café and The Children’s Village at TCC. View complete details at www.tcc.edu/StormCard.
9. Lost your ID already? Not to worry. Bring a photo ID along with $10 to the ID Card office on your campus: 2012 Whitehurst (Chesapeake); 1120 Enrollment Services, Andrews Building (Norfolk); C-2221, Building C (Portsmouth); A-100B, Princess Anne Building (Virginia Beach). Each office has extended hours that end Aug. 30 (Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. until 7 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Each office is closed for a half hour beginning at 1 p.m. on weekdays.
8. Remember you can use your financial aid to pay for textbooks, even if buying them online. Use your SIS-ID number during the checkout process. A head’s up: Only the Virginia Beach Campus and the MacArthur Center bookstore location feature in-store textbook shopping. You can order your books online and arrange to have them picked up at any of the distribution stores on any of the campuses.
7. What, you haven’t checked your TCC email? All registered students have email accounts, which should be checked daily. Use myTCC on www.tcc.edu to access your account. Call (757) 822-1122 if you have problems. Yikes, is that snowflakes? Your email also has info on weather closings as does TCC’s main Facebook page. In fact, check TCC’s Facebook page regularly for college news.
6. If you’re planning to transfer to one of the colleges TCC has a guaranteed admission agreement with, plan from the beginning which classes you will take, as each college has specific requirements. Talk with a counselor to make sure you know the exact requirements necessary for your choice.
5. Not sure you can handle your load or ready to add more? Remember the last day to add or drop a class is Aug. 30. The last day to receive a tuition refund for a dropped class is Sept. 10. If graduation is already in your sights, remember to apply for fall commencement by Sept. 10.
4. If you’re struggling in any class, the Learning Assistance Center on each campus is there to help. LAC locations are Beazley Building (A), Room 110 (Portsmouth); Room 217, Bayside Building (Virginia Beach); Walker Building, Room 3205 (Norfolk); Room 405, CT-2 (Chesapeake).
3. All students need parking decals and semester validation stickers, which are free at the Chesapeake, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach campuses. To receive your decal, you must bring a printout of your class schedule, a valid driver’s license and your student ID number to your campus business office: Room 172, Pass Building (Chesapeake); Building A main entrance near the staircase (Portsmouth) and the information window in the Princess Anne Building (Virginia Beach). Students at the Norfolk Campus can use the Bank Street Garage, located at the new Wells Fargo Center in the city block surrounded by Monticello Avenue, Freeman Street, Charlotte Street and Bank Street. Cost is $25 per semester, and passes go on sale Aug. 13 at the business office in the Andrews Science Building. Students receiving financial aid can have their aid applied to pay for parking passes; contact your financial aid advisor for details.
Remember, TCC students ride free on Hampton Roads Transportation buses, The Tide and the Paddlewheel Ferry. To get your GoPass365, go to any campus business office and present your student ID. You must be currently enrolled to receive a pass.
2. Take control! This is your college education. Get to class. Ask for help. Retrain your attention span. The rule of thumb is one-hour lecture means two hours of preparation.
1. The primary mission for faculty and staff at TCC is student success. If you need help ask because remember we really mean it when we say, “From here, go anywhere.”