Student Activities: Clubs & Organizations
Procedures and forms for establishing a new club or organization
Establishing and Chartering Student Organizations
Student organizations which will contribute to the educational,
social, community, and/or physical improvement of Tidewater Community
College can be established. Student organizations must be academic,
educational, and/or service-oriented, and all full-time and part-time
students are eligible to participate.
All organizations must fulfill
the following requirements:
Submit to the Student Activities Office:
- Include as participants only currently enrolled TCC students,
TCC alumni, and TCC staff members.
- Have at least ten students who are currently enrolled on the
campus that is filing the charter.
- Have a faculty/staff advisor who will participate actively.
- A constitution which describes the purpose of the organization;
any academic or special membership requirements, such as fees,
equipment needed, etc.; types of activities planned; and any national
or other affiliations (sample constitutions available in the Student
- An initial recognition application which contains the day,
time and place of meetings; a list of members, including TCC students,
staff, TCC alumni, and non-TCC members (the participation of non-TCC
members must be justified and approved by the campus dean for
Student Services); a list of officers, and the name and signature
of the faculty/staff advisor.
College-wide clubs must meet these additional requirements:
- Be approved by the Student Government Association (SGA), Student
Activities Offices, and the dean for Student Services.
- Not impose membership restrictions based on race, gender, age,
religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, or physical
- Have the advisor or TCC staff accompany the group on all trips
and other activities.
- Establish and maintain a financial account in the Business
- Deposit revenue from all sources into that account.
- Purchase items in accordance with state procurement guidelines,
in order to protect tax-exempt status.
- Re-charter every year.
- Submit a budget proposal for funds to the SGA or College-wide
Student Activities Committee for consider-ation and recommendation
if seeking funding.
- Officers of all clubs must remain enrolled at TCC and maintain
at least a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) or a higher GPA if required
by an affiliated national organization.
- Submit a written description of how the club will benefit by
being college-wide, rather than campus-based to the College-wide
Student Activities Committee.
- Have representation from at least three TCC campuses.
- Be approved for club status by a college-wide committee consisting
of the College-wide Student Activities Coordinator, the Campus
Student Activities Coordinators, the college-wide associate dean,
and the campus deans for Student Services.
After the club documents have been approved by SGA officials, the
documents will be given to the student Activities Coordinator or
designee who will file the clubs petition and supporting documents;
respond in writing with respect to the official action taken by
the college on the clubs request for official recognition; and issue
an official college charter to the club. This charter grants the
organization the privileges of using college facilities and the
Tidewater Community College name.
Types of clubs
|ACA = Academic Related
||INT = International
||REL = Religious
|CUL = Cultural
||POL = Political
||SER = Service
|HON = Honor Societies
||PUB = Publications
||SPE = Special Interest
TCC CLubs and Organizations