GUIDELINES FOR DOCUMENTATION OF Psychiatric Conditions
TCC students seeking academic accommodaions for a psychiatric condition should provide documentation to include the following components:
- A diagnosis by a licensed, Masters level clinical social worker (LICSW), psychologist or a psychiatrist, who is an impartial individual not related to the student.
- A clear statement of the student’s illness(es), including the DSM-IV diagnosis (coded on
Axis I or II) , a summary of the present symptoms and a prognosis.
- Documentation should be current and describe how the student’s psychiatric condition interferes with, or impacts, their ability to participate in the educational process.
- Medical information relating to the impact of medication and/or treatment on the student’s ability to participate in all aspects of the academic environment.
- Suggestions of academic accommodations that might be appropriate in an educational environment supported by disability – related rationale.