TCC Home Page                               


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce DevelopmentNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library
Student Information

Veterans Affairs @ TCC

Frequently asked questions..

1. How does a veteran apply for benefits?

An application for educational benefits (VA form 22-1990) may be obtained at the Office of Veterans Affairs or downloaded here. You should submit the completed application to the Office of Veterans Affairs with a certified copy of your service separation form (DD214).

2. What are the Requirements?

  • Students using VA benefits must be enrolled in a specific degree or certificate program at TCC. 
  • VA benefits can only be received for courses that apply to the specific degree or certificate.
  • All previously earned college credits and military training must be evaluated by the college and applied to the specific degree or certificate. 
  • VA benefits cannot be received for courses previously awarded credit. 
  • Students must bring their VA application, required documents and paid receipt to the Office of Veterans Affairs, A-l07, in order to be certified for benefits. 

3. Why must I have a certified DD214, why not just notarized and where do I go to get it certified?

Notarized copies are not acceptable. You may get a certified copy at the clerk of court for a small fee. Your DD214 is a valuable document and if you have your 214 certified it will always be on record.

4. When will I receive my first check?

You should receive your first check 8 to 10 weeks after you apply for benefits.

5. Will I receive any form of acknowledgment once the Office of Veterans Affairs has submitted my request to the Department of Veterans Affairs?

Yes, you will receive an Aacknowledgment of receipt of claim (award letter) from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

6. May I request advanced payment?

Advanced payment may be requested by new students and by those who have been away from school for an interval exceeding one calendar month in duration.

7. Are recipients of VA educational benefits eligible for support from other federal and state financial programs?

Yes, a recipient of VA educational benefits may also be eligible to participate in such programs as the Pell grant and guaranteed student loan programs.

8. Does the VA have a work study program?

Yes, the Department of Veterans Affairs has a work study program. To be eligible for this program you must be attending school at the 3/4 time rate.

9. What is the toll free number to the regional office?

The toll free number to the regional office is 1-800-827-1000.

10. Does the Department of Veterans Affairs have a web site?

Yes, at