Principles of Real Estate - Online
Principles of Real Estate
This sixty-hour, internet course prepares the student to sit for the Virginia Real Estate Examination for a Salesperson. The Commonwealth of Virginia requires a student to complete - with a passing grade - an approved sixty-hour course titled "The Principles of Real Estate." This online class not only allows the student to fulfill the sixty-hour requirement, but also prepares the student to sit for the exam. The course runs for six weeks. Enrollment is flexible - a student can start the class at any time. Students who complete the course can also take an additional test and review course at no extra charge.
This course is recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, Real Estate Board.
Bill Sherrill, TCC Professor of Business, has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, and a Master's Degree in Economics (provided by a scholarship from the Society of Real Estate Appraisers). He has been a real estate broker in Virginia and North Carolina for over 20 years, and owns a real estate brokerage firm in Hampton Roads.
Mr. Sherrill has 30 years of experience teaching real estate, accounting and economics. He has taught at Old Dominion University, Colorado State University, Eastern Shore Community College and Tidewater Community College. He currently teaches Economics, and online Real Estate and Accounting courses for Workforce Development, at Tidewater Community College. He specializes in producing online courses.
- REAL 1001 (60 hours)
Modern Real Estate Practices, 17th Ed. by Galaty, Allaway, and Kyle, Published by Dearborn Real Estate Education ISBN 13:978-1-4195-2198-0. Virginia Real Estate: Practice and Law, 8th Ed. by F.A. Dan Daniels, Published by Dearborn Real Estate Education ISBN 1-4195-0350-2.
Highlights of Course Content
- Real Estate Property and the Law
- Real Estate Brokerage and Agency
- Real Estate Contracts
- Transfer of Title and Title Records
- Real Estate Financing
- Property Management & Real Estate Appraisal
- Fair Housing and Ethics Practices
- Environmental Issues
- VA Real Estate Laws and the Rules and Regulations of the Real Estate Board
|Class #||Catalog #||Section||Dates||Time||Location||Cost||CEU's|
The 180-Hour Pre-Licensing Real Estate Broker Course
This 180-hour (45 hours each course), Internet course prepares the student to sit for the Virginia Real Estate Examination for a Broker. The Commonwealth of Virginia requires a student to complete - with a passing grade - an approved series of courses. This online program not only allows the student to fulfill the 180-hour requirement, but also prepares the student to sit for the exam. Each course runs for four weeks. Enrollment is flexible - a student can start the class at any time. Students who complete the course can also take an additional test and review course online at no extra charge. In order to take the Broker License exam, you must be a Real Estate Salesperson for a period of three (3) years, as well as complete the series of courses listed below. Students not seeking licensure may take any course in any order.
These courses are recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, Real Estate Board.
- REAL 1002 Essentials of R. E. Finance(45 hours)
- Course covers nature and cycle of real estate finance, mortgage markets, sources of funds, instruments of real estate finance, various types of loans and financing programs, closings, defaults, and foreclosures. Required text: Essentials of Real Estate Finance, 11th edition, by David Sirota, PhD. ISBN 1-4195-2091-1
- REAL 1003 Fundamentals of R. E. Appraisal (45 hours)
- Course covers the major principles behind the various approaches to valuing real estate. Learn the forces that create and affect the real estate market. Learn the steps in the appraisal process, the various types of capitalization, and mathmatical computations/statistics needed for appraising. Required text: Fundamentals of Real Estate Appraisal, 9th edition, by William L. Ventolo and Martha R. Williams. ISBN 1-4195-0518-1
- REAL 1004 Real Estate Brokerage (45 hours)
- Course covers the planning and managing of the operations of a brokerage business. Learn to analyze the business climate and the market structuring your organization, business systems and finances. Business policies and procedures, marketing and advertising; recruiting, selecting and staffing; and risk management also covered. Required text: Real Estate Brokerage: A Management Guide, 6th edition, by Sobek, McAdams, and Cyr. ISBN 0-7931-6785-X
- REAL 1005 Real Estate Law (45 hours)
- Course covers an introduction to law and the legal system, real estate and personal property laws; land, water, and air rights; estates, condominiums and cooperatives; the landlord-tenant relationship; contract law; real estate agencies and brokerages; escrows, liens, deeds,transfers, titles, mortgages and closings; fair housing laws; environmental law/green development. Required text: Real Estate Law, 6th edition, by Karp and Klayman. ISBN 1-4195-1133-5