| Personal Professional Development
Every full-time faculty member (teaching faculty, as well as counselors and librarians) has access to a Personal Professional Development Fund (PPDF) of $225. You do not need the approval of the Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee to use these funds, but you must report the use of the PPDF funds whenever you request funding from the Faculty Senate's College Professional Development Fund (CPDF). You must exhaust PPDF either prior to or in conunction with a request for money from the College Professional Development Fund. If your planned activity costs more than what you have left in your PPDF, you may use your remaining PPDF as a partial payment and apply to the CPDF for the remainder.
Adjunct faculty do not have PPDF money.
You may not give this money to anyone else. If you do not use it, it will not be carried over to the next year. The AIS codes for this Personal Professional Development Fund (Individual Equity) are:
- 10300-145003-00 (District)
- 10300-145003-01 (Portsmouth)
- 10300-145003-02 (VB)
- 10300- 145003-03 (Ches)
- 10300-145003-04 (Norfolk)
|College Professional Development
||$1675 for Full-time
Once a full-time faculty member (including counselors and librarians) has exhausted his or her Personal Professional Development Fund, he or she may apply for additional money from the College Professional Development Fund. Adjunct Faculty do not have access to the PPDF and should apply directly to the CPDF. The CPDF has a total of $225,000 for the 2014-2015 academic year. This fund is not available to administrative faculty. Adjunct faculty must teach at TCC during the semester in which the professional development activity occurs in order to be funded. The maximum amount that will be awarded per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) is $1,675 per full-time faculty and $800 per adjunct faculty member. You can request money for more than one activity throughout the fiscal year as long as the grand total doesn’t exceed the maximum amount.
The AIS codes to use for CPDF are:
- 10300- 145016-00(District),
- 10300- 145016-03(Ches),
Note: Account codes will be added following the AIS codes indicated above. On the Budget and Pre-Approval Form you will enter 61221 for organizational memberships, 61224 for Workshop and Conference Reservation Fees, 61227 for airfare, taxi, tolls, lodging, meals, and personal vehicular mileage. The Account code is 61225 for tuition.
Both the PPDF and the CPDF may be used for the following purposes:
a) Conferences and workshops: You must fill out the Budget and Pre-Approval Form (BPAF) from the TCC Travel Workbook and submit it to your Division Dean or Supervisor. Registration may be prepaid using this form or you may be reimbursed. All other expenses (airfares, automobile travel, hotel, meals, etc.) will be reimbursed following the conference. Travel by more than three employees to the same conference (other than VCCS sponsored activities) requires permission from VP Milloy.
b) Membership in discipline specific professional associations: These associations must be on the approved list maintained by the Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee and must be directly related to your teaching discipline. This list is available online. You may also submit recommendations for additions to the committee chair.
To pay for a professional association membership, use the Budget and Pre-Approval Form (BPAF).
1- Submit this form, along with the application for membership, to your Dean or Supervisor who will forward it to the Provost and then to the Business Manager.
2-You may pay for membership with either the PPDF or CPDF or a combination of the two. If your membership exceeds funding still available to you, you must include a check made out to the association for the difference.
3-The college will pay the membership. Reimbursement is not allowed.
4 - Multiple memberships at the same time: If you use college funds to pay for membership dues for more than one professional association at the same time, please submit one BPA per professional organization. Each professional association is a “vendor” to the TCC Accounts Payable office. If multiple vendors are on one BPA Form, that means that the one BPA Form has to be reviewed and finalized by multiple people in Accounts Payable before payment can be made to any of the professional associations. This can slow payment to the professional associations.
c) Tuition: You must pay for tuition yourself and then get reimbursed after turning in your passing grades. Business Managers have tuition reimbursement packages.
1) Full-time faculty must first exhaust the money available to you through the Tuition Reimbursement Fund (TRF) before applying to the CPDF. This fund is accessed by writing the amount requested on the “Tuition Reimbursement” line in the Funding section of the HR-78 Form. This fund pays a maximum of $500 per person per year on a first-come, first-served basis. This fund must be used before using any other fund if you are requesting tuition. If your tuition exceeds $500, you may use PPDF for the additional funding needed. If the combination of these two funds is still not sufficient, then you may apply to the CPDF. You may also apply to the CPDF for a second and third course until you reach the maximum amount of $1m675
2) Adjunct facultydo not have access to the Tuition Reimbursement Fund (TRF) or to the PPDF but may receive tuition money from the CPDF.
3) Tuition Assistance requires that an HR-78 form be filled out for each course (prior to taking it) and that an HR-79 be filled out each academic year. Please fill out one CPDF application for each graduate course.
4) If you are requesting funding for a TCC course, the school will pay tuition in advance. All other tuition must be reimbursed after you complete the course.
As a faculty member, you will only pay tuition and technology fee. Fall 2014 tuition & technology fee = $137 per credit hour. (Full in-state rate = $164.35 per credit hour)
*Whenever you submit a Budget and Pre-Approval Form (or an HR-78) which includes CPDF money, you must attach an award e-mail from the professional development committee. To receive this award e-mail, you must send the CPDF application by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or inter-campus mail to the Professsional Development Committee Chair, Joe Joyner at the Norfolk campus. (Do not send the BPAF or HR 78 to the committee chair.) Please use only your TCC faculty email (Outlook) as this is the account to which all responses will be made.
*You must have enrolled in the Electronic Data Interchange Program to receive a reimbursement.
*The fiscal year ends on June 30, so for trips that are late in June or early in July, contact the committee chair for instruction.
Workshop Grant: The Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee accepts faculty submitted proposals for Workshop Grants. Workshops should be directed to enhancing instruction, skill, or leadership development and must be submitted and developed by full-time teaching or professional faculty. All proposed workshops should involve both full-time and adjunct faculty as participants. Workshops may be discipline specific or address skill development across the disciplines. The maximum budget is $3,000 per workshop but exceptions may be made for larger workshops. See the Workshop Grant Criteria document for more details.
To apply for CPDF funding, please send a completed CPDF application to the committee chair (Joe Joyner at the Norfolk campus, email@example.com) as an email attachment (preferred) or a printed application via inter-campus mail (alternative). Please use only your TCC faculty email (Outlook) as this is the account to which all responses will be made.
Please fill out the form completely. Written Justification (How will this benefit the college?) must be completed by all applicants. Do not send the Budget and Pre-approval Form (BPAF) or anything else other than the CPDF application to teh committee chair.. Once your application has been approved (typically within one week), an award e-mail will be sent to you.
Attach the award e-mail to your other documentation (Budget and Pre-Approval Form (part of the TCC Travel Workbook Excel spreadsheet) for atending a conferences or membership dues in a professional association, or HR-78/79 for tuition) and submit it to your Dean or Supervisor for approval.
It is your responsibility to plan well enough in advance that you may receive approval from the committee in time to submit your Budget and Pre-Approval Form at least 2 weeks prior to your trip (6 weeks for international travel), or 2 weeks prior to the start of the semester if you are applying for tuition. To ensure funding, please submit your application as soon as possible.
a) To receive reimbursement for travel, complete and sign the Travel Reimbursement Claim Form from the TCC Travel Workbook. Submit the form to your Dean or Supervisor along with your Budget and Pre-Approval Form that was returned to you, your CPDF award e-mail, and any appropriate receipts. This must be done within 30 days of your return.
b) To receive reimbursement for tuition, submit the following within 30 days after the completion of the course:
1) Signed HR-78 Form that was returned to you after the HR office and the President or her designee signed it.
2) Signed HR-79 From; this should be signed by the employee, Dean or Supervisor, and Provost. A new HR 79 is completed each academic year.
3) CPDF award email or authorization letter for all funds other than PPDF or Tuition Reimbursement
4) Completed Accounting Voucher (See Business Manager for details)
5) Completed State Disbursements Accounting Grid (See Business Manager for details)
6) Copy of grade report
7) Copy of receipt to prove payment of tuition.
Example: Full-Time Faculty at the Portsmouth Campus
1. Your first expense of the year is a professional membership for $110. Use your PPDF and submit a Budget and Pre-approval form to your Academic Dean with the code 10300-145003-01-61221, along with your filled-in membership form. The college will pay for the membership. TCC will not reimburse professional memberships.
2. Your second expense is a conference that costs $950 ($300 Registration, $220 airfare, $150 Meals, $280 hotel) . Apply to the CPDF for $835. After receiving your authorizing e-mail, submit your Budget and Pre-approval Form with $115 PPDF which is the remainder of your PPDF, and $835 CPDF. You may have the college pay in advance for registration, but you will need to be reimbursed for airfare, hotel, food and lodging. You may elect to pay for registration yourself in advance and get reimbursed after you return.
It might be coded as follows: 10300-145003-01-61224 $115
( the registration is to be paid partly out of PPDF and partly out of CPDF)
(airfare, lodging and meals all come from the same Account code)
3. Your third expense is college tuition at $1600. You will apply to the CPDF for $840 (which is all that you have left of your maximum of $1675) and then after receiving your authorizing e-mail, submit HR 78 and HR79 with CPDF of $840 and Tuition Reimbursement Fund of $500. You will pay the entire tuition yourself, but you will have $1340 reimbursed after you turn in your passing grades.
4. Anything else that you do during the fiscal year, you will pay for yourself.
Applications cannot be approved if they are submitted after the course or the conference begins. All paperwork, including the Budget and Pre-Approval Form and/or the HR-78/HR-79 forms, must be submitted to your Dean or Supervisor, Provost and Business Manager before the activity. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. You must also file reimbursement paperwork within 30 day of the completion of the activity.
How to get the Applications and Information:
Below are hyperlinks for the CPDF Application and courtesy copies of other forms needed to apply for professional development funding. With the exception of the CPDF Application, the official copies of the forms are located at Inside TCC. To log into Inside TCC, use your network user name and password. You can also contact Joe Joyner (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUNDING FORMS
Select the form links below or go to INSIDE TCC for the HR-78/HR-79 forms if needed. From the TCC web site, select Faculty & Staff, then Inside TCC, then use your computer login and password. Under the heading Forms, click Human Resources and then select HR-78 and HR-79.
If you cannot access the forms on InsideTCC, contact the HelpDesk@tcc.edu, 822-2457.
College Professional Development Fund Application
HR-78 Professional Development Request (InsideTCC)
| HR-79 Professional Development Plan
for tuition reimbursement (InsideTCC)||
You can also contact Joe Joyner at 757-822-1580 for informatiuon and assistance.