July 1, 2017: New Education Assistance policies and forms went into effect
The new policies and five new forms are available via the Human Resources pages in Sharepoint (InsideTCC). Three forms affect faculty using college funding for tuition for a university/college course awarding credit for the course and two forms affect faculty using college funding for tuition for a TCC course awarding credit for the course.
- HR-78: Educational Assistance Request
- HR-79: Professional Development Plan
- HR-81: Promissory Note
- HR-84: Employment Continuation Agreement
The new policy and one additional form pertaining to TCC courses are awaiting review by the TCC President and Executive Staff and the VCCS System Office.
May 30, 2017: New online CPDF Application (FY 2017 - 2018) available
In place of the former Word document, the CPDF Application is now available as an online form. Please use only the online version of the CPDF Application going forward.
Once an award of professional development funds has been received, submit your approval package to your Dean or Supervisor using:
- the Online Travel System
- or a Purchase Order Request Form if your professional development does not include travel (such as an online conference, etc.)
- or the TCC Membership Request System
- or the HR-78 , HR-79 , and HR-84 Forms for tuition.
For other professional development opportunities, visit VCCS' Office of Professional Development web page.
Professional Development Funding Plan 2017 - 2018 Academic Year for Full-time and Adjunct Teaching Faculty and Professional Faculty
Please do not skim the information below. Read it. That will eliminate most reasons for a delay or denial of an application for funds.
College Professional Development Fund (CPDF)
$1,675 full-time faculty | $800 adjunct
Full-time teaching and professional faculty (counselors and librarians) may apply for funding from the College Professional Development Fund. The CPDF has a total of $235,000 for the 2017-2018 academic year. CPDF is not available to administrative faculty, administrators or non-teaching staff. Adjunct faculty must teach at TCC during the semester in which the professional development activity occurs and for which funding is requested. The maximum amount that will be awarded per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) is $1,675 per full-time faculty and $800 per adjunct faculty. You can request money for more than one activity throughout the year but the annual total cannot exceed the maximum entitlement.
The AIS code to use for CPDF is 10300- 145016-00.
Note: Account codes will be added following the AIS codes indicated above. In your Online Travel Request, you will enter 61224 for Workshop and Conference Reservation Fees, 61227 for airfare, taxi, tolls, lodging, meals, and personal vehicular mileage. The account code for tuition is 61225 and the account code for organizational membership is 61221.
Faculty senate professional development funds are not awarded for certification or recertification fees, licensure or relicensure fees, examination fees, books, supplies, software, hardware, etc. Funds can be awarded for courses, training, workshops, etc., that lead to certification or recertification, licensure or relicensure that are needed for your teaching discipline or required by the college.
CPDF may be used for the following purposes:
You must submit an Online Travel Request to your Academic Division Dean or Supervisor. Registration and airfare may be pre-paid if requested or you may be reimbursed. All other expenses (travel, food and lodging, etc.) must be reimbursed following the conference or workshop. Travel by more than three employees to the same conference (other than VCCS sponsored activities) requires permission from the VP for Finance.
These associations must be on the approved listing maintained by the faculty senate Professional Development Committee.
You may submit recommendations for additions to the committee chair. A recommendation to add a professional association to the listing needs to contain justification (such as conferences, meetings, workshops, journals, dues, etc.) as to how membership in the association will enhance the professional development of faculty who are members and, thus, benefit the college. The committee will review the information that is submitted as well as the organization's web site for which you must provide the web address (URL). Once an association has been added to the listing, you can request to use funds for membership as appropriate to your discipline for teaching or professional faculty.
To pay for a professional membership, use the TCC Membership Request System.
- You may pay for membership with CPDF. If your membership exceeds funding still available to you, you must include a check made out to the association for the difference.
- The college must pay the membership. Reimbursement is not allowed.
You must pay for tuition yourself and then get reimbursed after turning in your passing grades. Campus Business Managers have the tuition reimbursement package.
- Full-time faculty and adjunct faculty may apply to the CPDF. You may also apply to the CPDF for a second or third course, until you reach the maximum annual entitlement of $1,675 (full-time) or $800 (adjunct).
- Tuition assistance requires that an HR-78 form be filled out for each course (prior to taking it), that an HR-84 form be filled out for each course (prior to taking it),and that an HR-79 form be filled out each academic year. Please fill out one CPDF application for each course.
- If you are requesting funding for a TCC course, the college will pay the tuition in advance, if requested. All other tuition must be reimbursed after you complete the course.
As a faculty member, you will only pay the tuition and technology fee.
- Whenever you submit an Online Travel Request, Purchase Order Request Form or an HR-78 Form which includes CPDF money, you must attach an award email from the professional development committee chair. To receive an award email, you must submit an online CPDF Application to the committee chair, Joe Joyner (email@example.com) at the Norfolk campus. Do not send any other documents to the committee chair.
- You must have enrolled in the Electronic Data Interchange Program to receive a reimbursement.
- Each fiscal year ends on June 30. For trips that are late in June or early in July, contact the committee chair for guidance.
The Faculty Senate Professional Development Committee annually calls for proposals for Workshop Grants. A proposed workshop should be directed to enhancing instruction, skill or leadership development and must be developed and submitted by full-time teaching or professional faculty. All proposed workshops should involve both full-time and adjunct faculty as participants. Workshops may be discipline-specific or address skill development across the disciplines. The maximum grant amount is $3,000 per workshop but exceptions may be made for larger workshops. Refer to the Workshop Grant Criteria document for more details.
To apply for CPDF funding, please submit an online CPDF Application.
Please fill out the form completely.
- Avoid the use of acronyms without explaining what they mean. An unexplained acronym results in a follow-up email asking for the explanation.
- Written justification (how will this benefit the college?) must be completed by all applicants.
- Do not send other documents to the committee chair.
- Once your application has been approved (typically with 2 - 3 days), an award email will be sent to you.
Attach the award email to your approval documentation (Online Travel Request, TCC Membership Request System, Purchase Order Request form, or HR-78/79/84 forms for tuition) and submit your package to your academic dean or supervisor for approval.
It is your responsibility to plan well enough in advance so that you may receive approval from the committee chair in time to submit your Online Travel Request, TCC Membership Request, Purchase Order Request Form, or HR-78/79/84 forms at least two weeks prior to your trip (six weeks for international travel), at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester if you are applying for tuition, or with as much lead time as necessary for payment of membership dues. To ensure funding, please submit your application as soon as possible
- To receive reimbursement for travel, submit your reimbursement request via the Online Travel System to your academic dean or supervisor. This must be done within 30 days of your return.
- To receive reimbursement for tuition, submit the following within 30 days after the completion of the course:
- Signed HR-78 Form that was returned to you after the HR office and the President or her designee signed it
- Signed HR-79 Form; this should be signed by the employee, Dean or Supervisor, and Provost. A new HR 79 is completed each academic year
- CPDF award email
- Completed Purchase Order Request, if applicable (see Business Manager for details)
- Copy of grade report (for tuition reimbursement only)
- Copy of receipt to prove payment of tuition (for tuition reimbursement only)
Examples: Full-Time Faculty at the Portsmouth Campus
1. Your first expense of the academic/fiscal year is a professional association membership for $110. Apply for CPDF. After receiving your CPDF award email, submit your approval request via the TCC Membership Request System to your academic dean along with your completed association membership form (PDF format). The college will pay the membership dues. Dues will not be reimbursed; the college must pay them.
2. Your second expense is a conference that costs $950 ($300 for registration, $220 for airfare, $150 for meals, $280 for hotel). You still have $1,565 left in your CPDF entitlement. Apply for CPDF. After receiving your CPDF award email, submit your Online Travel Request. You may request that the college pay the conference registration fee and airfare in advance, but you will need to be reimbursed for hotel expenses and food and lodging expenses. You may elect to pay for registration and airfare yourself and get reimbursed for all approved expenses after you return.
3. Your third expense is college tuition of $1,600. You have $615 remaining in your CPDF entitlement. You may apply for CPDF for $615. After receiving your CPDF award email, submit your HR-78, HR-79 and HR-84 Forms indicating $615 from CPDF. You must pay the tuition of $985 yourself and you will have $615 reimbursed after you submit your reimbursement documentation.
4. Once your CPDF entitlement is exhausted, if you have any other professional development costs for the remainder of the academic/fiscal year, you must either seek other funding or pay for them yourself.
Applications cannot be approved if they are submitted after the course, conference, workshop, etc., has begun. All approvals, including the online Travel Request, online Membership Request, Purchase Order Request, or the HR-78/HR-79/HR-84 forms, must be submitted to your academic dean or supervisor and be approved by your academic dean or supervisor, campus business manager and provost before the professional development activity has begun. There are no exceptions. You must also file reimbursement paperwork within 30 days of the completion of the activity.
For more information and/or assistance, contact Joe Joyner at 757-822-1580 or firstname.lastname@example.org.