The General Education Committee:
- Improves the quality and relevance of the College's general education curriculum
- Considers new courses for inclusion as general education and approved transfer elective courses
- Performs periodic reviews of these courses to ensure they are continuing to satisfy required core competencies and transfer suitability
- Reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs & Chief Academic Officer
2017 - 2018
- Review and recommend any revisions to policies, procedures, plans, or other relevant documents that are germane to the purpose of the General Education Task Force; assist in drafting new policy and procedures, if needed.
- Implement general education course selection procedures.
- As part of advancing Guided Pathways, redefine general education through determining competencies and align them with the general education requirements required by VCCS.
- Develop and implement criteria and a review process to narrow the list of general education choices (e.g., 5 to 7 courses in Humanities, Social Sciences, etc.) to recommended courses as part of Guided Pathways, without unnecessarily removing the general education course selection.
- Chair: David Kiracofe, Information Literacy
- David Brandt, Quantitative Reasoning
- Sandra Bryant, Oral Communication
- Debra Duffy, Scientific Reasoning
- Joseph Fairchild, Academic Dean
- Jennifer Ferguson, Director of General Education Assessment & Transfer Partnerships
- Heather Fitzgerald, Recorder, Librarians
- Rhonda Goudy, Counselors
- Cal Scheidt, Adjuncts
- Amanda Leo, Instruction Committee
- Diane Ryan, Academic Dean
- Lara Tedrow, Personal Development
- Douglas Thiele, Written Communication
- Emily Wilson, Critical Thinking
- N/A, Past Chair
Meetings for the 2018-2019 Academic year will take place on the second Friday of the month from 12:30-2pm. Meeting locations TBD as necessary to make quorum.
Upcoming dates for 2018 are as follows:
- Friday, September 14, Chesapeake Campus, New Academic Building, Room 4318
- Friday, October 12
- November 9
- December 14
- January 11
- February 8
- March 8
- April 12
- May 10