Summer 2020 Remote Instruction
- TCC is preparing to distribute CARES Act funding to eligible students.
- Options for students needing internet access
- Remote learning will continue for at least the first portion of the Summer Session.
- Virginia’s Community Colleges implemented a new grading scale for 2020 classes that end after April 7.
- The college is open for virtual support only. Faculty & Staff should not report to campus.
- Per the Governor’s executive order on March 30, telework will continue until June 10.
- NEW! Community resources during COVID-19
- NEW! How to order summer textbooks.
- Statement from Dr. Conston
- General FAQs
- For Students
- For Faculty & Staff
- Spring 2020 Grading Policy
- About Workforce Solutions Training and Classes
- Information for Students Needing Internet Access
- Submit a Question
TCC’s 2020 Summer Session will begin as scheduled on Monday, May 18. Because the Governor’s stay-at-home order extends through June 10, the following courses will be taught online and through remote instruction methods:
- 10-week courses (May 18-July 31)
- 8-week courses (May 18-July 17)
- First 6-week courses (May 18-June 29)
- Dynamic courses that begin before July 6 (schedule)
Second 6-week courses (July 6-August 14) may be taught face-to-face if the public health situation allows. Check the class schedule frequently for updates.
What you need to know about choosing your summer courses
- Courses that start with O are traditional online courses. There are no scheduled class meeting days or times.
- All other courses will be taught through remote instruction. Course content will be delivered online and may require real-time participation at the designated times.
You will need the following technology
- Desktop or laptop computer with an up-to-date browser
- An audio source with microphone, which could be earphones, a headset or phone
- A reliable internet connection
A webcam is recommended but not required.
NOTE: Chromebooks and other mobile devices, such as iPads, are not recommended as a replacement for a computer as they may not be compatible with all tools used in courses.
NOTE: The above applies to most classes. Some classes may have additional requirements, such as downloading and installing student versions of software. Students should check with the instructor or course notes for additional requirements.
If you have a mobile device, Wi-fi connections are available outside several TCC buildings. You may also be able to use public wi-fi connections available outside coffee shops or public libraries. Learn more about wi-fi options.
Yes. Any courses with labs that can be completed remotely will be listed in the course schedule.
Summer courses will be graded using the traditional A-F scale, with options for W (withdraw) and I (incomplete). The emergency grading scale (P+/P-) will be used only for Spring 2020 courses.
You can find your steps to get started with us outlined on our Visiting Students page (https://www.tcc.edu/come-to-tcc/visiting-students/)!
Barnes & Noble at TCC will continue to provide the needed textbooks and materials to TCC’s students. All course materials will only be available through the Barnes & Noble at TCC online ordering process. Barnes & Noble at TCC staff will endeavor to process these orders in an efficient and timely manner. They will communicate with students regarding orders and any anticipated delays. All orders will be shipped for free; there is no in-store pick-up available at this time.
To order your books:
- Login to SIS
- Enroll in your Summer 2020 courses
- Click on My Class Schedule & Book Info
- Click on Bookstore Textbook Information