CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund
Tidewater Community College is required by the U.S. Department of Education to supply the following information regarding distribution of CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) funding. For more information, contact the Financial Aid and Student Accounts Support Center at 855-308-5614 or email@example.com.
- Tidewater Community College acknowledges that it signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Tidewater Community College received $5,999,978 from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- TCC had an estimated 6,027 students eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- TCC granted 5,321 students an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- The following methodology was used by TCC to determine which students received Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- Were eligible for Federal Title IV financial aid (valid 2019-2020 FAFSA on file, meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, and resolved all requirements with the financial aid office) as of May 4, 2020.
- Were enrolled in at least 6 credits for Spring 2020
- Were not taking all online courses as of March 13, 2020, the date when President Trump declared COVID-19 a national emergency
- Had an EFC (Expected Family Contribution, determined by FAFSA) of less than or equal to $14,000
- Had not received a tuition refund due to COVID-19 as of May 5, 2020
- TCC distributed $5,986,125 among 5,321 students, each receiving payments of $1,125 each
- TCC provided this guidance to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants:Grants are intended to be used to assist with expenses incurred as a result of coronavirus-related campus closures, such as technology, food, housing, course materials, health care, and childcare. There is no action required on your part to receive these funds. Funds will be issued in the method chosen for refund in the TCC tuition refund portal at https://tcc.afford.com/. If a method has not been selected, you will receive a mailed check. Students receiving a direct deposit can expect to receive it in approximately 4-6 business days. Mailed checks will arrive in approximately 10-14 days.
Note that the Department of Education required that these grants be sent directly to students and not be directed to any unpaid tuition account balances. If you have an unpaid balance, we have not deducted that from this payment. These funds are not taxable according to the IRS. If you have questions about the grant funds, please feel free to contact the Financial Aid and Student Accounts Support Center at 855-308-5614 or firstname.lastname@example.org.