FIRST COLLEGE PROGRAM with portsmouth public schools
About the Program
First College is a program developed in partnership with Portsmouth Public Schools (PPS) and is available only to students in the Portsmouth Public High Schools. It is designed for qualified high school seniors who plan to continue their post-secondary education. The program offers seniors an opportunity to earn at least 18 semester hours of college-level credit prior to graduation from high school (in combination with credit hours earned through dual enrollment courses such as English and Government). The high school students attend Tidewater Community College for all of their spring semester courses and attend the high school for extracurricular activities, sports, and other PPS engagements.
- Earn college credits while still in high school at a discounted rate
- Take classes on the college campus and obtain all rights and privileges of TCC students
- Take smaller sized classes with greater interaction with other college students
- Academic support and comprehensive student services
Who is Eligible
- Portsmouth Public Schools seniors who plan to continue their education after graduation from high school
- Students who place into TCC’s English Composition I and II (ENG 111-112) through a placement testing process
- Students who successfully complete both English 111 and 112 courses with a grade of C or better in the fall term of their senior year through the dual enrollment program at their high school
The First College program offers to pathways: college transfer coursework and automotive technology coursework. The First College courses are agreed up by Tidewater Community College and Portsmouth Public Schools and are subject to changes from year to year. A student must successfully pass all developmental math sections on the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) to enroll in college-level mathematics during the First College program.
Need review information for the VPT-Math??? CLICK HERE
Program and Cost
The cost of the First College program is determined by agreements between Tidewater Community College and the Portsmouth Public Schools system in compliance with the State Board for Community Colleges. Portsmouth Public Schools provides textbooks for First College students. All interested students and parents should attend a First College information session offered at one of the three public high schools in Portsmouth during the fall semester of each year.
Contact your high school guidance counselor or
TCC First College Program
Dean Jenefer Snyder
120 Campus Drive
Portsmouth, VA 23701