Paramedic certification is the national standard for advanced life support training.
Tidewater Community College’s Career Studies Certificate in Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic will give you the skills and knowledge you need to deliver the highest level of pre-hospital emergency care using basic and advanced life support techniques.
You must already hold the EMT - Intermediate certification to enroll in this program.
Areas of study include:
- airway and ventilation management
- patient assessment
- special populations, including pediatrics, geriatrics, OB/GYN
Four rounds of clinical internships round out this comprehensive program.
TCC’s instructors will also introduce you to the theory and practice of medical incident command, hazardous materials incidents and crime-scene procedures.
Our EMS programs are nationally accredited. Programs also meet National EMS Education Standards and are approved by the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services and the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
Apply all the credits you earn in this program to TCC's Associate of Applied Science in Emergency Medical Services.
Certify your skills
Earn valuable industry credentials! Course work certifies students to sit for exams offered by the Virginia Department of Health, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, the American Heart Association and International Trauma Life Support.
Veterans, transitioning military, spouses and dependents: TCC’s Center for Military and Veterans Education provides academic guidance and help in maximizing your GI Bill and other educational benefits.
Tuition assistance such as financial aid, scholarships, work-study, grants and loans can help you save money and reduce college debt.
8 simulation labs, model apartment and equipment rival the facilities of some medical schools
80 percent first-attempt pass rate on National Registry Exam, compared to 60 percent nationally
Classes offered day and evening. Attend either, as your schedule permits
A nurse for 41 years, Anne Mach has taught the gamut of EMS courses at TCC
TCC’s EMS programs are accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for EMS Professions (CoAEMSP) through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
Simulation technology allows EMS education to be hands-on
We want you to be aware of additional requirements and important information for this program.
If you are a new TCC student, begin your journey by applying for admission and financial aid. On your application, indicate that you intend to pursue the Career Studies Certificate in EMT - Paramedic.
The Emergency Medical Services program doesn't offer an information session. If you have questions, contact Audrey Pine, administrative assistant: 757-822-7335
Once you are admitted, you must meet certain requirements for continuance:
1. Submit the Health Professions Physical Examination Form showing satisfactory health status based on a physician’s exam within the previous 12 months.
2. Submit your immunization record showing you have met Virginia’s requirements for health care personnel.
3. Submit documentation of a negative TB test
4. Complete a criminal/sex offender background check prior to working at any clinical facility.* Order your background check here.
* Tidewater Community College does not assume any responsibility for obtaining or evaluating the results of a criminal background check, drug screen or other check, maintaining the records of results or for delivering them to clinical sites. It is the decision of the clinical affiliate (health care or medical facility) whether a student will be allowed to participate in clinical activities should there be positive criminal or sex offender results.
TCC’s Career Studies Certificate in Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic consists of 3 semesters of part-time study, with classes held at the Regional Health Professions Center on the Virginia Beach Campus and at clinical sites.
Estimated Program Cost*:
28 credits x $181.10 per credit = $5,070.80 (not including textbooks and supplies)
*Based on Fall 2017 in-state tuition. Your actual cost may differ.
Additional costs include uniform shirt and criminal background check ($46)
The EMT - Paramedic career studies certificate prepares you for immediate employment or advancement with municipal and county fire/rescue squads, hospitals, nursing homes, sports organizations and other fields that require emergency services.
You can also apply all of the credits you earn toward TCC’s Associate of Applied Science in Emergency Medical Services.