FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How long will it take to finish my degree?
Full time students can finish the AAS degree in two years.
2. What jobs can I get after completing my degree?
The AAS degree in Fire Science will allow you to go into many fields of Fire Science, i.e., Municipal and Federal Fire Departments, Industrial and Public Safety, Insurance Appraisal, Public Administration, and Specialty Suppression Services.
3. Can I get college credit for my previous non-college training?
You can receive college credits for your military and Fire Certification Training. Military personnel can receive college credit for both academic and fire related courses by having their training records evaluated (see green form attached to this packet). Students should contact the Fire Science Program Director for information on credit for certificates received on the job or through volunteer services. Fire fighters can receive college credits for National and State Fire Training Certifications.
4. Do you offer a flip-flop schedule?
Yes. Those classes that are not
offered on line are taught
on a flip-flop and hybrid schedule.
5. Can I receive Virginia State Department of Fire Programs Certifications while taking fire courses?
Yes. Tidewater Community College has an
agreement with the Virginia Department
of Fire Programs to test for state certificates
after completing selected classes and
on meeting course pre-requisites.
6. Will my degree in Fire Science be transferable into a four year degree program?
Yes. Hampton University will consider
selected Fire courses towards their Fire
Administration Degree program. Other
colleges may take some of the classes taught
at TCC. You will have to check with those
institutions to determine what classes they
Richard A. Dienst
Director - Fire Science Program
Tidewater Community College
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453