A currently enrolled student may petition for college-level credit for learning acquired through documented work or life experience relevant to their curriculum through an experiential learning portfolio.
Students interested in seeking experiential learning credit should follow the steps below:
- Complete Module 1 of the LearningCounts self-paced course to determine if this is an appropriate option for you. (The first module is available to review at no cost.)
- Meet with an academic dean to determine if portfolio credit is an appropriate option based on the curriculum and your academic and professional goals. Next, complete the Application for Credit by Local Examination or Experiential Learning (Portfolio) Credit form.
- If approval to proceed is granted by the academic dean, obtain the official course outline for the course in which you are seeking credit through a portfolio. You must include a copy of the course outline and learning outcomes with your portfolio submission.
- Create a free LearningCounts Account. Next, register for and pay for the Developing Your Portfolio for College Credit course. You will also need to purchase a portfolio assessment. Your portfolio must be submitted within 6 months from the date that you enroll in the portfolio development course.
- Upon submission to LearningCounts, your portfolio will be evaluated by a trained faculty assessor.
- Order and pay for an official LearningCounts transcript to be sent to Tidewater Community College, Office the College Registrar, P.O. Box 9000, Norfolk, VA 23509-9000
Transfer credit will be awarded for the applicable course if you complete the steps above and earn a grade of “C” or higher on your portfolio submission.
Students interested in receiving credit for Studio Arts should contact the Director of the Visual Arts Center to receive portfolio instructions.
Tidewater Community College
Office of the College Registrar
P.O. Box 9000
Norfolk, VA 23509-9000