is the Great Expectations Program?
• What services are available through the Program?
• Who is eligible for the Program?
• How do I get more information about the Program?
• Getting money for college
• Steps to enrolling at Tidewater Community
• Additional resources
What is the Great Expectations Program? [back to top]
More than 500 children in the Virginia foster care system age out each year. Without social or family support foster care children experience significant challenges living on their own. Too often, unemployment, underemployment, homelessness and incarceration face young adults as they age out of foster care. However, with access to education these same youth can find satisfying, well paying jobs and a future rich with possibilities.
Learn more about Great Expectations.
What services are available through the Program? [back
Who is eligible for the Program? [back
Great Expectations Coaches and Mentors provide assistance, guidance, offer encouragement and celebrate successes along a student’s academic and life journey. At Great Expectations we can:
- Help with applying for admission to the college
- Offer instruction and support throughout the financial aid process
- Help with Career exploration and coaching
- Assist with choosing an academic program
- Make referrals to community resources for academic as well as personal issues
- Monitor academic progress
- Make referrals for tutorial services
- Offer the experience of being part of a mentoring relationship
- Provide a point person at the college to assist students in their academic journey until they are able to become self sufficient in navigating the community college system
- Provide an online resource center covering a wide variety of topics from finding housing to staying healthy
- Individuals between the ages of 17 and 24 who are or were affiliated
with the Virginia Foster Care System and who are interested in or are currently attending
Tidewater Community College
- Youth adopted from the Virginia Foster Care System after the age of 13
- Special Needs Adoptees
- Students who are currently enrolled at TCC must maintain at least half-time enrollment (with a minimum
of six credits) in an eligible academic program of at least one academic
year in length.
How do I get more information about the
Program? [back to top]
Office hours for Great Expectations are kept on all four campuses (directions). Office hours vary, call to confirm hours or to make an appointment.
TCC Chesapeake Campus, Pass Building, room 192
1428 Cedar Rd.
Chesapeake, VA 23322
TCC Portsmouth Campus, A Building, Counseling suite
120 Campus Drive
Portsmouth, VA 23701
TCC Norfolk Campus, Andrews Building, in Student Services suite
300 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
TCC Virginia Beach Campus, Student Center, K309
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453
Money for college [back to top]
Follow these helpful links to learn more about available funds through the government as well as Tidewater Community College.
Steps to enrolling [back to top]
- Apply to TCC. (Need step-by-step instructions?)
- Apply to Great Expectations.
Additional resources [back to top]
If you are new to Tidewater Community College, learn more about admission requirements, how to apply and register for classes and the wide range of programs offered.
The Virginia Wizard website can help you choose a career, get information to pursue your career, enroll in one of Virginia’s community colleges, pay for college, transfer to a four-year college or university, and get answers to your questions about your future.