Admission Steps - Military Spouse & Dependent Students

Tidewater Community College is among the nation’s leading providers of education and training for military spouses and dependents. TCC's Center for Military and Veterans Education (CMVE) is here to assist and support you through the admission process. 

Military spouses & dependents

Follow the instructions on this page to apply to TCC. If you plan to use MyCAA benefits, follow these instructions

Military service members
Follow these steps to apply to TCC

Follow these steps to apply to TCC

Apply for Admission

Apply to TCC using our free online application. You can save your application and finish it later. You will be assigned a 7-digit Student ID number when you complete the application. Write this number down. We recommend printing the application for your records.

Are you under the age of 24? Your parent or guardian may need to answer questions to determine your eligibility for in-state tuition rates.

Are you under the age of 18? Print your application and have your parent or guardian sign it. Or use this form.

Next, Go to myTCC to activate your account and access your student email. Throughout your academic career, TCC will communicate important information to you through your student email account. Check it often!

Decide What You Want to Study

The application will ask you what program you are interested in.

Whether you want to transfer to complete a bachelor's degree or prepare for an in-demand career, see all that TCC has to offer.

Browse TCC's areas of study

Apply for GI Bill ® & VA Education Benefits

You only need to apply once for benefits. If you’ve used your benefits at another school, submit the Change of Program or Place of Training form as noted below.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill ®)

John Fry Scholarship, Chapter 35



Apply for Financial Aid

If you haven't already done so, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). TCC’s school code is 003712.

Learn more about paying for TCC

Meet with an Academic Advisor

TCC’s academic advisors will help you select an academic program, register for classes and build a course schedule that fits your busy life.

They will also provide an unofficial evaluation of your previous educational experience and military training to help you determine which classes to enroll in. Bring unofficial copies of any transcripts and/or military training. 

All new, curricular students are required to meet with an academic advisor before registering for their first semester. You can meet with an advisor by phone or in-person. 

Learn more about advising

Demonstrate College Readiness

TCC uses multiple measures to determine a student’s readiness for college-level English and math courses, including the Virginia Placement Test.

You may be exempt from placement tests if you can demonstrate your readiness with previous high school course work, SAT/ACT scores and other criteria.

Most new students must take the English and math placement tests before registering for classes. These are not admission tests. They evaluate your college readiness.

You don’t want to be placed in a course lower than your actual skill level because you’ll take longer to complete your program and you’ll be paying unnecessary tuition.

Whether or not you have studied English and mathematics recently, you will want to prepare in order to do your best.

Learn more about placement tests

Attend an Orientation Session

After you take your placement test, sign up to attend an orientation session at the campus where you plan to take most of your classes.

Sign up for orientation

Register for Classes

After you have spoken with an advisor and selected a program, select your classes using the online class schedule.

Classes may be listed for more than one semester. Be sure you are searching the correct semester.

The academic calendar contains registration dates and deadlines.

Review Your Tuition Charges

Ensure you qualify for and are being charged in-state tuition rates.

To do this, log into myTCC, Select the SIS icon, and navigate to the Student Services Center to review your tuition charges.

Learn more about qualifying for in-state tuition rates.

Pay Tuition Using Your Military Education Benefits

Post 9/11 GI Bill®—100% eligible (Chapter 33)
Your tuition is deferred, but you must submit the Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form by the tuition deadline to prevent your classes being dropped due to non-payment.

Post 9/11 GI Bill ®—less than 100% eligible (Chapter 33)
You must pay the tuition portion not covered by your benefits and submit the Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form by the tuition deadline to prevent your classes being dropped due to non-payment.

Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP)
You must have VMSDEP authorization and submit the Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form by the tuition deadline to prevent your classes being dropped due to non-payment

View tuition ratesView tuition payment optionsView tuition deadlines

Have Previous Education Credits Evaluated

You may receive academic credit for your previous college credit. 

Request credit for previous academic credit

CMVE Offices

Call us at 757-822-7645 or 855-399-7480 (toll-free if outside the U.S.)

Office hours:
Virginia Beach: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Chesapeake: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Norfolk: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Portsmouth: Mon - Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

CMVE military base contact information

Virginia Beach (Main Office)

Building D (Kempsville)
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-7710


Pass Building
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23320

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-5014


Andrews Building
315 Granby St.
Norfolk, VA 23510

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-1650


Building A
120 Campus Drive
Portsmouth, VA 23701

Phone: 757-822-7645

Fax: 757-822-2136

Looking for Help?

Send Us Your Questions
* All fields are mandatory