A compassionate way to make a difference
A funeral service professional is licensed by the state and specializes in all aspects associated with funeral service, including support for the bereaved, preparing the body according to the wishes of the survivors and requirements of the law, and securing all the essential information for legal documents. TCC’s nationally accredited funeral service program combines technical education with the business skills necessary for you to become successful in a field where jobs are plentiful. The funeral director provides compassionate care for families and individuals after the loss of a loved one. The program also focuses on the business skills necessary to manage the daily operations of a funeral home.
Credits:67 View Curriculum
Locations:Virginia Beach Campus
Associate of Applied Science - Funeral Service
TCC’s funeral service program provides an extensive program designed to prepare students for careers in the field of mortuary science. With an extensive curriculum covering everything from chemistry and restorative art to funeral service law, you’ll learn through hands-on training in the embalming lab.
Credits:61 View Curriculum
Locations:Virginia Beach Campus
Associate of Applied Science - Funeral Directing
TCC’s funeral directing program provides training on the management of funeral establishments, with an emphasis on business management and public speaking. Students will have the chance to participate in an externship to learn up close what it means to be a funeral director.
Additional Program Information:
The Tidewater Community College Funeral Service Program is designed to prepare students for entry level positions in the death care industry. This includes preparation for the National Board Funeral Service Exam (NBE) administered by the Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards in the Directory of Accredited Programs. Passage of the NBE is required by the Commonwealth of Virginia for licensure as a funeral service provider. If you live or move outside of Virginia, you must consult the licensing board in that state to confirm whether this program meets your states requirements prior to enrolling. More information on accredited mortuary programs and the NBE can be found at the American Board of Funeral Service Education’s website: www.abfse.org.
The Funeral Service Degree Program at Tidewater Community College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE): 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108 Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097 (816) 233-3747; fax: (856) 579-7354
Admission to the funeral service program is selective and requires a separate application in addition to general admission to the college.
To qualify for this competitive program, you will need to complete the Funeral Service Program Application.
Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to the funeral service program. If admitted, students must meet certain conditions for continuance.
Learn about the Program Completion Rates
- Explain the importance of funeral service professionals in developing relationships with the families and communities they serve.
- Identify standards of ethical conduct in funeral service practice.
- Interpret how federal, state, and local laws apply to funeral service in order to ensure compliance.
- Apply principles of public health and safety in the handling and preparation of human remains.
- Demonstrate technical skills in embalming and restorative art that are necessary for the preparation and handling of human remains.
- Demonstrate skills required for conducting arrangement conferences, visitations, services, and ceremonies.
- Describe the requirements and procedures for burial, cremation, and other accepted forms of final disposition of human remains.
- Describe methods to address the grief-related needs of the bereaved.
- Explain management skills associated with operating a funeral establishment.
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills and research skills needed for funeral service practice.
Is this program for you?
Yes, if you:
- have excellent interpersonal skills
- are detail-oriented
- embrace a flexible, non-traditional work schedule