What can I expect on the exam?
The exam includes items that test your knowledge of:
- Reading comprehension
- Vocabulary and general knowledge
- Basic math skills needed for health care (addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratios and proportions, household measures, general math facts)
- Anatomy & physiology
- Critical thinking
- Personality style (not scored)
Why is the school using this exam?
The exam assesses your academic readiness and is a predictor for success in the first year of registered nursing programs. Students who do not meet standard scores in math and reading comprehension are more likely to have difficulty with the rigors of the nursing curriculum.
Students who do not achieve desired scoring on their first attempt should remediate prior to taking the exam again. An individualized remediation plan will be available from Evolve within a window of 24 hours to 2 weeks after completing the exam.
Students accepted into the nursing program will be expected to use this remediation plan to enhance their success in the program.
Is there a fee for this exam and how do I pay for it?
There is a fee of approximately $49 (subject to change) for the Nursing Admission Assessment (HESI A2) Exam. You must have an Evolve account to purchase the exam.
Follow these steps to establish an Evolve account and purchase the HESI A2 Exam:
- Visit the Evolve Learning System website
- Select the Register for Distance Testing link under the HESI Secured Exams header
- On the HESI Registration page click the Register button.
- You will be on the shopping cart page. Click the Checkout/Redeem button at the bottom of the page.
- Next, you will be asked to create an account. Use the following information:
- State: Virginia
- City: Norfolk
- Institution: Tidewater Community College
- Program Type: Nursing - Associate Degree
- Year of Graduation: 2021
- Click Continue
- You will be brought back to the shopping cart page. Click the Checkout/Redeem button at the bottom of the page to complete your order.
- From this page, select My Evolve
- Select Student Access. From the HESI Assessment page, select “Payments.”
- From the payment tab, Input the payment ID 12508 and select Search for the ‘RN Admission Assessment w/CT (A2) Disregard the payment due date. Complete payment information and Proceed to checkout.
You will receive an email confirmation with your account information.
Important: Before purchasing the exam, you must schedule and take the HESI A2 Exam with Payment ID 12508 by August 15, 2018.
There will be no access to the HESI A2 Exam purchased under this payment ID after August 15, 2018. TCC will not issue refunds; you must contact contact Evolve to process a refund.
How can I prepare for the exam?
The nursing program does not endorse or recommend any particular source or method to prepare for the HESI A2 Exam. Numerous study materials for purchase as well as student blogs regarding preparing for the exam can be found on the internet. The HESI Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Test Review Text is available for purchase at the TCC Barnes & Noble Bookstore or through www.us.elsevierhealth.com
How often can I take the exam?
You may take the exam for submission to TCC only once within a 12 month period. The timing of the exam is up to you and depends on many factors, including your education plan and previous educational experience.
How do I schedule an appointment to take the exam?
You can take the exam at any TCC Campus Testing Center. Appointments must be arranged at least 48 hours in advance by emailing the testing center where you want to test.
The HESI A2 is a timed exam; you will have up to 5.5 hours to complete it. Keep in mind that the Testing Center schedules a limited number of appointments per day for the exam.
What do I need to bring to the Testing Center on the exam day?
Bring the following:
- your receipt for purchase of the exam
- A government-issued ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport)
- TCC Student ID
- Evolve Elsevier login and password
The following items are not allowed in any testing center:
- Cell phones or other electronic devices
- Food or drinks
Personal calculators are not permitted. A basic calculator is available within the exam, and scratch paper will be provided.
When will I know my score?
You will receive your score at the completion of your exam in the Testing Center. Your score report and remediation plan will also be sent to you by email from Evolve within a window of 24 hours to 2 weeks after completing the exam. Scores will be sent to the email address you provided when registering for the exam.
What happens after the exam?
The Beazley School of Nursing will have access to official HESI A2 Admission Assessment Exam scores. Your exam score will be one of the factors considered in the selection process for admission to TCC Nursing program. There is no score on this exam that will guarantee your admission or exclude you from admission.
Exam results must be less than two years old at the time of your application to the Nursing Program.