TCC’s Chesapeake Learning Assistance Center offers online tutoring to all TCC students during the following days and times:
Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Online tutoring assistance is limited to courses in American Sign Language (ASL), Writing, and English.
You must make an appointment for an online tutoring session. Call the Learning Assistance Center at 757-822-5157 to schedule an appointment.
What you need
- An internet connection
- A computer with the Chrome browser installed (mandatory); a webcam and microphone (preferred but optional)
- Your myTCC username and password
- Necessary course materials and assignment
Access an online tutoring session
Follow the steps below to sign into your online tutoring appointment:
- Open a new Chrome browser window. (The software is not accessible from other browsers, e.g. Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.)
- Log into myTCC
- Click Gmail icon
- In the top right corner of your screen, click the Google Apps icon (a 3x3 grid of squares), then click More
- Click the Hangouts icon (a green question bubble). If you are a first-time Hangouts user, you’ll need to click through the tutorial screens. A tutoring session can be conducted without the use of the camera and microphone via the Chat icon located at the top left of your screen. Click the Chat icon (a blue text box) to enable the chat function.
- Click the Video Call button
- Click Allow to enable your computer's camera and microphone during the tutoring session
- Click the Use a Meeting Code button
- When prompted to enter the meeting code, type tcctutoring then click Join
- At the bottom of the next screen click the Join button
A tutor will be in this virtual meeting room waiting to assist you for the 30-minute online tutoring session. Make sure your camera is enabled and your microphone is unmuted. Your camera and microphone icons are located at the top of your screen.
You’re now ready for your 30-minute online tutoring session to begin!