Tidewater Community College offers students free and confidential assistance through our personal counseling department.
Conflicts and problems often arise that may make it difficult for students to reach their full potential. Individual counseling can help you cope with dilemmas in your personal development or with challenging life events so you are better able to respond to problems and concerns.
Our office assists students who are experiencing issues that may impact their personal and academic success.
Services offered include crisis intervention, initial assessments and referrals to other agencies, services or professionals.
Students often seek counseling to:
- increase self-confidence and self-esteem
- control test anxiety
- cope more effectively with life stressors
- address issues relating to alcohol or drug use
- develop better communication skills
- deal with issues of grief, trauma or loss
- overcome self-defeating habits and behaviors
- discuss mental health concerns
Please see the Community Resource Guide for more information.
Personal counseling staff
Jessica Smith, Psy.D., LCP
Director of Student Mental Health & Behavior, Staff Psychologist
August 21 - August 25
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Special Enrollment Day on Thursday, September 7, 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Regular office hours are:
Monday and Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.