Open Door Project
The Open Door Project (ODP) is a federally-funded Student Support Services TRIO Program. The goal of the ODP is to help program participants improve their academic performance, stay in college, graduate and/or transfer from Tidewater Community College to a four-year college or university.
The Project provides academic and personal services to a select number of eligible students at the Norfolk and Portsmouth campuses of Tidewater Community College.
How do I qualify?
- Be enrolled at TCC's Norfolk or Portsmouth Campus
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Have an academic need
- Meet the income eligibility criteria
- Be a first-generation college student and/or a student with a documented disability
What services are available?
- Free Tutoring - Individual tutoring in almost any subject to supplement your classroom instruction
- Study Skill Workshops - Prepares you to organize your study time, overcome test anxiety, and maximize study efforts
- Academic Counseling - Helps you stay in school by working through any problems that may prevent you from completing your work
- Career Counseling - Helps you develop career goals by providing current career information and helping you match your aptitudes and interests to appropriate careers
- Financial Aid Counseling - Helps you complete financial aid applications for financial assistance to attend college
- Cultural Enrichment - Gives you opportunities to broaden your background through trips to theatrical and musical performances, lectures, historical sites, and sporting events
- Transfer Counseling - Helps you plan and prepare for transfer to a four-year institution
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
|Peer Advisor: Zebeth Newton
Monday: 8:30am - 3:30pm
Tuesday: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Wednesday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Counselor: Willette Hackney-Davis
Monday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
|Peer Advisor/Admin||Laverne Freemanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Willette Hackney Davisemail@example.com|
|Peer Advisor/Admin||Zebeth Newtonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Words of Wisdom
"Set your academic goals and stay focuses. My staff and I are available and willing to help you achieve your goals. "None of the secrets of success will work unless you do." – Kay Williams, Director
"Knowledge is power and enthusiasm pulls the switch." - Steve Droke
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - William Butler Yeats
Without much "ado" counseling plays a vital role in the students’ gradual educational progress. Counseling includes all factors and processes that impact students' academic success.
The Open Door Project was established as a student support component of TCC that students who are of limited income, first generation and/or disabled can have the help they need with academic and personal concerns.
The Open Door Counselor provides students with intrusive academic advising and with timely intervention when they find themselves in academic jeopardy. We also provide a variety of workshops to meet their academic, psychological and emotional needs. Our services also include career counseling, financial counseling, transfer counseling, cultural enrichment, and scholarships are even available for qualified students.