TCC Home Page             


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library

Virginia Beach: Office of Veteran's Affairs


The campus Office of Veterans Affairs (OVA) can explain Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational benefits, as well as help you apply for these benefits. Eligibility for DVA education benefits rests solely with the DVA (1-888-442-4551) or visit DVA Internet site: The TCC OVA maintains up-to-date files and can advise you on guidelines for receiving and keeping benefits.

Princess Anne Building: Room A-107
Hours of Operation
      Monday - Tuesday:
8:30 am - 6:30 pm  
Wednesday - Friday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm  
Main Telephone/Fax
(757) 822-7235 / (757) 822-7710

Office Contacts

Phone Number
    Email Address

Emanuel Chestnut, Jr.


(757) 822-7239

Michael W. Smith

VA Certifying Official

(757) 822-7238

Arvie J. Larsen

VA Certifying Official

(757) 822-7240


Virginia War Orphan Education Program Renamed and Expanded


Veteran's educational benefits
Tidewater Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Students who are eligible for Veterans' benefits must be a matriculated student at TCC. Please follow the steps outlined under Application for Admission at
Veteran's Educational Benefits

Eligible veterans can receive assistance in applying for education benefits by contacting the campus Office of Veteran Affairs.

If you plan on attending ACC and have never received Veterans' Educational Benefits, you may print the application from the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site at, or contact the campus Office of Veteran Affairs.

If you received your educational benefits at another school before attending TCC, you will need to complete the form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). You may print the form from the VA Web site at

Forms must be filled out and returned with the Member 4 copy of the DD 214 or the Form 2284 NOBE to the office of Veteran Affairs.

Once you have registered for classes, the campus Office of Veteran Affairs will prepare an enrollment certification stating the number of credits you are enrolled for and send that form to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY. You will receive a letter from the VA stating the type of benefits, the number of months of eligibility and the date they expire.

VA Program chapters
Chapter 30
The Montgomery G.I. Bill. This program provides educational benefits to individuals that served on active duty. The Member 4 copy of your DD 214 is required.
Chapter 31
Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans. This program is for individuals who have compensable service connected disability. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment barrier. Veterans should contact Chapter 31 Case Manager at Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Offices at: 5200 West Mercury Boulevard, Suite 295, Hampton, Virginia 23605. Once eligibility has been established, the Case Manager will issue a signed 22-1905 which will be given to the TCC campus Office of Veteran Affairs.

Chapter 32

Veterans Educational Assistance (VEAP). This is a voluntary contribution matching program for individuals entering service after December 31, 1976.
Chapter 35
Dependents Education Assistance Program. This program is for the dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently disabled from service connected causes.
Chapter 1606/1607
Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve. This program is available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. The form DD2384 (NOBE) is required.
Military and college transcript information

TCC uses the credit recommendation of the "American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services" when awarding transfer credit.

All veterans are required to provide
official copies of all college and military transcripts. Official copies should be mailed to: TCC, Registrar's Office, 7000 College Drive, Portsmouth VA 23703.

On the last day of each month, all Chapter 30s and 1606s must call 1-877-823-2378 or access the Web site, to certify their enrollment status.