Identity theft at TCC

President Kolovani sent this message to TCC employees on March 25, 2016, regarding a data breach incident.

Dear TCC Employees:

A serious breach of employee information has been discovered. I want to make you aware of it and tell you what we are doing.

At least 15 TCC employees informed us that when they attempted to file their 2015 tax returns, they were advised by the IRS that a return had already been filed under their Social Security numbers.

These at first appeared to be isolated incidents – evidence of the growing number of tax return scams. Nonetheless, we reported it immediately to the VCCS.

We learned 24 hours ago that a file containing the names of all 2015 TCC employees,  their Social Security numbers, 2015 earnings, withholding and deduction information was sent in response to a request that appeared to be from a legitimate TCC account.

The account was, in fact, a scam.

The names included current and former full-time, part-time wage, and adjunct employees – anyone who received taxable wages from TCC for 2015.

We are working with professionals to address this matter. In the near future, you will receive a letter with instructions on setting up free credit monitoring and whom to call if you have questions.

Meanwhile, I’m providing this preliminary notification so that you can take these immediate actions to protect your information:

1) First, contact one of the three major credit-reporting agencies – Equifax, TransUnion, or Experian -- to place a fraud alert on your credit file. The one you place a fraud alert with will contact the other two. Renew the fraud alert every 90 days.

You can request a copy of your current credit report when you set up the fraud alert.

2) Complete and submit IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. It alerts the IRS that you have reason to believe your personal information may be used fraudulently. The form and further information are available here.

Alternatively, you may call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.

If you believe your personal information has already been used fraudulently:

1) Report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission at You can also call 1-877-IDTHEFT.

2) File an identity theft report with your local police. The police report is necessary if you want to apply for a new Social Security number.

3) Report the theft of your Social Security number to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at The report will be distributed to the relevant federal, state and local authorities.

The Federal Trade Commission offers a good resource on what to do in case of identity theft at

4) Finally, report your incident to TCC by using this simple online form:

TCC’s leadership is working closely with law enforcement to identify the means of this attack and taking steps to prevent it from happening again.

Further, I have directed senior staff to implement advanced cybersecurity training for all employees who handle sensitive data.

This data breach affects all of us. Please know that I share your anxiety, and that I am personally resolved to do everything I can to keep your information safe.

Later today, visit to find a link to a set of frequently asked questions about the incident. It will be updated as we continue to learn more. I promise that I will continue to communicate with you.