DACA and Undocumented students
Welcome to Tidewater Community College! We are happy you have chosen us to pursue your educational goals.
Step 1 – Apply to TCC
Complete the free online application for admission.
- Read all the application questions carefully and do your best to respond to everything accurately.
- Skipping a response or giving an incomplete answer (i.e. not providing your social security number or failing to indicate that you plan to apply for financial aid) will create additional steps for you later.
- To qualify for general admission, you must have a high school diploma or the equivalent, or be 18 years of age or older and be able to benefit from a program of study at Tidewater Community College.
Attend a Steps to Enroll Information Session: After submitting your application, attend this session to lead you through your steps to enroll.
Step 2 – Provide Documentation
Provide your approved I-797 form or documentation showing you have applied for U.S. citizenship or permanent residency to our Admissions and Enrollment office on any of our campuses or through our secure document portal. Once this document is received and processed, then we can remove the hold on your account allowing you to proceed with your steps to enroll.
Step 3 – Apply for state financial aid
Virginia offers the Virginia Alternative State Aid Application for students who are nonimmigrants, undocumented, have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status or are otherwise ineligible to file the FAFSA.
Step 4 – Log in to your MyTCC Portal.
- Log in to myTCC to check for any holds on your account.
- Click the SIS icon
- Click on My Student Information box
- Your holds list will be listed on the right side of the window. Click on Details to view additional information for the item.
- Follow the instructions shown on the screen to have the hold removed from your file. If you have questions, contact the department listed on the screen for more information.
- Refer to the email you received after applying for your student number, username, and instructions for accessing your account. If you have trouble accessing your account, please contact us at 757-822-1111 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 5 – Determine College Readiness
Complete the following questionnaire before attending an advising session. This questionnaire helps determine which English and math courses are you ready for.
Log in to complete the questionnaire.
If you have received a hold on your account for ESL, you will first need to complete the ESL Placement Test. You can schedule this free test at any campus Testing Center by contacting email@example.com. You may be exempt from taking the ESL Placement Test if you meet certain criteria.