Connecting Foster Youth with College Success
Great Expectations helps Virginia’s current and former foster youth, transition to college. Without social or family support, foster care children experience significant challenges living on their own. However, with access to an education, foster youth can find fulfilling, family-sustaining employment.
At TCC, a dedicated team works with enrolled students to ensure their success in community college and beyond, connecting them to community resources, scholarship opportunities and other support.
Students can pursue an associate degree, get workforce training, or transfer to a four-year college—often for free!
Great Expectations Benefits
In addition to covering the financial burden of college, Great Expectation provides services such as academic advising, tutoring, career coaching, job application help, life skills training and leadership development.
Students who participate in the program will have access to:
- Help choosing an academic plan of study
- Support throughout the financial aid process
- Support registering for classes
- Help accessing college support services
- Referrals for tutoring services
- Referrals to college and community resources for academic and personal issues
- Dedicated support to assist students in navigating college systems and processes
Students can join at any time. The program is open to those affiliated with the Virginia foster care system, youth who were adopted from Virginia foster care after their thirteenth birthday, or youth adopted at any time in a special needs adoption. Find out if you or someone you know can be considered for the Great Expectations program.