Open Door students come from disadvantaged backgrounds, and are often first-generation college students.
Offered on the Norfolk and Portsmouth campuses, this federally-funded program helps students with academic performance while providing support services to keep them in school.
Services available through the program include:
- Academic counseling
- Career counseling and assessments
- Cultural enrichment through trips, lectures and sporting events
- Financial aid counseling
- Individual tutoring
- Laptop loan program
- Study skill workshops
- Transfer counseling
How do I qualify?
To be eligible for the Open Door Project you must:
- attend TCC's Norfolk or Portsmouth campus
- be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- demonstrate academic need
- meet income eligibility criteria
- be a first-generation college student and/or a student with a documented disability
Open Door Project staff
Counselor, Norfolk Campus
Counselor, Norfolk & Portsmouth campuses
Peer Advisor, Norfolk Campus
Peer Advisor, Portsmouth Campus
Howard-bound student Ansari Smith grateful TCC got him back on track
Kay Williams, director of the Open Door Project, says she is filled with joy and excitement every time she watches her students graduate and transfer to four-year schools
Alumnus says TCC was his second chance
Friday, July 21: 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, August 16: 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Special Enrollment Day
Saturday, August 5: 9 a.m. to noon
Regular office hours are:
Monday and Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.