Apprenticeship Programs for Students
The NNSY Apprenticeship Program is now accepting applications for the next cohort. The deadline is September 1, 2022.Learn More
Students earn while they learn in apprenticeship programs.
Registered apprenticeship programs for students combine postsecondary education with a full-time job and specialized, hands-on training. Apprentices finish college with valuable skills, little to no student debt, and career opportunities with leading Hampton Roads employers.
Apprenticeship programs for students are sponsored by employers, employer groups, and trade associations. Employers provide the on-the-job training while often partnering with local colleges to deliver the classroom instruction.
Students complete classroom instruction at the same time apprentices are actually working in the field. This allows you to immediately apply the knowledge gained in the classroom to a real-world setting.
5 reasons to become an apprentice
- Experience. You get relevant work experience while you are in school.
- Free tuition. Many sponsoring companies cover the cost of tuition and fees for apprenticeship-related instruction.
- In-demand credentials. Upon completing an apprenticeship program, you’ll earn a nationally-recognized credential that is portable if you change jobs.
- Higher income. As employees of the companies that sponsor their apprenticeship, apprentices receive incremental raises and in many cases, company benefits.
- Value. Apprenticeship is an investment in you by an employer. Your future success then becomes their return on investment!
ALREADY IN THE APPRENTICE PROGRAM? NEED HELP?
Norfolk Naval Shipyard Contact:
Troy Williams – Assistant Apprentice / Helper to Worker Program Administrator Troy.firstname.lastname@example.org | 757.929.2219
LaToya Taylor – Assistant Apprentice / Helper to Worker Program Administrator email@example.com | 757.929.2279